GCDD 2018 Candidate Forum on Disability Issues
Over 200 attendees joined GCDD’s for the Candidate Forum on Disability Issues on October 11, at the James H. “Sloppy” Floyd Building in Atlanta. Attendees ranged from self-advocates, parent advocates, Real Community Partners and many statewide nonprofit organizations and partner agencies. To familiarize first time voters, the Georgia Advocacy Office presented attendees with sample ballot and voting booth demonstrations.
Questions were submitted by you for each candidate were diverse and essential to the disability community and covered:
- Discrimination in healthcare for people with disabilities
- Including people with disabilities in each candidates elected promises and implementation of those promises
- Polling station funding for ADA accessibility
- Voting machine accessibility
- Inclusive classrooms and the disbanding of the highly contested Georgia Network for Educational and Therapeutic Support (GNETS) program
GCDD would like to thank all the candidates who participated including State Insurance Commissioner candidate Janice Laws (D); School Superintendent candidates Otha Thornton (D), Richard Woods (R) and Dr. Sonia Francis-Rolle (Write-in); and Secretary of State candidates Brad Raffensperger (R) and Smythe Duval (I).
Thank you to all the attendees who participated in the live Q&A which covered inclusion in after school programs (ASP), voter fraud, advocating for county polling station funding and employment barriers for people with disabilities.